Friday, August 05, 2005

Nemesis.

Recently I came to blows with someone over an issue. Of course not actual blows, but verbal ones at the very least. Its been a long time since I've ever really felt insulted by someone. However, this is not due to my sociopathic tendencies (which I hope to keep few), but rather because I rarely put myself out there.

I have always found debating to be one of the most enlightening experiences. Its purpose has always been, in my mind, to help both sides better understand the issue. As a result, I never feel the need to argue my own opinion, merely the opposing opinion to someone else. Because of this, I rarely put myself out there to feel insulted. However sometimes even I get caught up in the debate. Mistakes happen. Life goes on.

The Ideal debater has not attachments to their argument. They are merely and advocate of their side of the debate, as lawyers are advocates of their clients cases. It does not matter which side of the debate they argue on as Justice can be served from either side. Take the case where a murderer gets off because the police found the murder weapon through unlawful means. While this is normally a far cry from justice, a greater justice has been served. Once again a person's property has been protected from unlawful government intrusion. Once again the freedom of the innocent has been prioritized over the enchainment of the guilty. We live in a society which is imperfect, and thus vaulnerable to abuse. Thus it is more important for us to protect the members of the society than the society at large. A governing body exists to facilitate cohabitation between its members, but it also must not step over the bounds where the members must be protected from it. Thus by arguing an opposing side the ideal debater lives up to a higher purpose. Preventing the governing body from over stepping itself. I guess you could say they guard us from the guards and each other. Lementible but necessary.

Still, when the day is done and the higher calling has been served, it would be nice to have a Nemesis to compete against.

Excerpt from "For I have seen the Devil and His face was Man" by Jim Tzenes

1 Comments:

Blogger jim said...

But I have prioritized justice against the government over justice for an individual as the government over sees many individuals and what is really being upheld is not just the accused's rights but the victim's righs too. However your need to see justice for the victim over society is... barbaric to say the least.

9:32 AM, August 17, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home